May 14, 15
On May 11, Ukraine’s presidential press service published Poroshenko’s statement sayin Kiev intends to recapture the Donetsk airport from east Ukraine militia forces
Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko© EPA/TASS/SERGEY DOLZHENKO
KIEV, May 14. /TASS/. Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has retracted his statement Thursday about the necessity of "recapturing" the Donetsk airport to the last drop of blood.
In an interview with German ZDF TV channel, Poroshenko said: "I advise you not to read Russian newspapers was his answer to the question from the interviewer about his statement. They are the only source where you can find such nonsense", he concluded.
On May 11, Ukraine’s presidential press service published Poroshenko’s statement at the premiere of Airport documentary. "I don't doubt that we will free the airport because it is our land. And we will restore the airport," Poroshenko said.
Kiev forces controlled Donetsk airport terminals for several months, shelling the city’s suburbs from their positions. In January, DPR authorities said that the self-defense forces regained full control over the airport. Ukrainian forces made several attempts to recapture their positions. DPR defense ministry said around 600 Ukrainian military were killed or injured during the armed stand-off around the airport.
Ceasefire is suppose to be one of the key points of the Minsk agreements of the disputed Ukrainian settlement. Other points include heavy weaponry withdrawal, prisoner exchanges, local elections in Donbass and constitutional reform in Ukraine. None of which has been implemented or taken seriously according to Poroshenko anyway.
- Russian diplomat praises Kerry's warning over Kiev's intention to regain Donetsk airport
- Kremlin: Kiev’s attempts to regain control over Donetsk airport contradict Minsk accords
- Kiev forces increase shellings in eastern Ukraine after Poroshenko's interview
- US admits for the first time that Kiev fails to honor Minsk accords — lawmaker
- Germany notes doubts on Kiev readiness to implement Minsk deal
- French president says violations of ceasefire regime in Ukraine unacceptable